Saturday 12 October 2019

Dialogue Writing Exercise

[ I composed this to help a cute little friend of mine some time ago. ]
Write an imaginary conversation among the animals and birds that are found in “Grandfathers Private Zoo”  written by Ruskin Bond.
___________________________________________

Popeye: All aboard! All board! All aboard.

Timothy: Hey  Popeye, what's up ? why are you shouting?

Popeye: I never came out of my home. I only rested on the perch. So this is quite an unprecedented experience for me. I feel I’m free! Woo hoo!

Timothy: Cool down. Don’t disturb me. Let me sleep. Will you?

Popeye: Sigh! You lazy fellow! You’ve been sleeping for so long. Get up and see. I’m standing on the shoulder of Grandmother and she’s caressing me.

Timothy: So what?

Popeye: Wake up. You’re missing out a lot. Everybody is enjoying the ride.  Look at the scenic beauty out there. It’s a whole new world! The train is moving fast and so are the trees!  Even Chips is enjoying.

Timothy: Is Chips with us? I’ve not seen him before.

Popeye: Oh sure he is there with us. He is peeping out from the pocket of his master. Hey Chips!  Chips! Come out.

Chips: Hey Popeye, what happened?

Popeye: Oh, you’re here now. Where have you been? Timothy was looking for you.

Chips: Burp! I was roaming around and visited the whole compartment. I saw some people were eating ground nuts. Delicious! I was drooling!  Hehe! The people are generous here. They gave me some to eat falling prey to my cuteness factor. Hehehehe!  Burp!

Popeye:  Oh, you glutton! Always dreaming about food.

Chips: I am a foodie! Yay! You know that. I even made a song. O ground nut, you're yummy. RIP in my tummy. La la la la la. 

Timothy: Your belly is about to explode in no time, you bun!

Chips: No worries! No worries! Burp! My own belly is my own belly, not yours. Burp! O ground nut, you're yummy. RIP in my tummy. La la la la la. 

Timothy: Yawn! Can’t be awake any more. Good nigh… wait, is it night yet?

Popeye: Yes it is.  Hey look! There is a loud noise. Let’s go and check out.

Passengers: Look! A snake!  There is a snake!

Chips : Ohh, it seems people are scared! 

Popeye: I’m scared too! All aboard! All Aboard!

Timothy: Shut up you fool! Let grandfather look into it.

Popeye: Grandfather is going there alone. Gosh!

Timothy: Worry not! He is a brave man. Just like me.

Popeye: But not lazy like you.

Timothy: Shut up! You nincompoop.

Chips: There is a huge snake! Oh, he is our python. How is he ended up being here?  We didn’t bring him with us.

Passengers: The snake is real huge! Be careful.   
  
Grandfather: Everybody, relax! I’m a snake expert. Let me handle the situation. Stay apart. Give me some space.

The problem is solved! This is just an innocuous python. He is under my control.  Let me put him inside my bag.

Passengers: Thank God! You saved us! Thank you so much! That’s some huge beast!

Grandfather: As I said, don’t worry. And no mention. Let me take him with me to my coupe.

Timothy: So the full gang is here? Huh?

Chips: Yay! The more, the merrier.

Popeye: But grandmother didn’t want you to come along with us. How did you manage to wriggle in?

Timothy: Yes, for the first time, Popeye is talking sensibly.

Python: You all left me alone! And now you are asking for clarification? Oh! How I hate you all!

Timothy: Relax. Don’t be sad. You are huge and scary. We had no other choice but to leave you at home.

Python:  I am sad. I have every right to be sad. You all left me. You don’t love me.

Popeye: Ladies and gentlemen, here comes the crybaby again! Hehehe.

Timothy: Shut up Popeye! Not again!  Okay Python let’s forgive and forget. Enjoy your journey.

Chips: Burp! I was just wondering, Python, what were you doing in the bathroom all day long?

Python: Oh no! I was not there all day long! I was lurking inside the fruit basket and gulping whatever I could. But then I became very thirsty. So I went out desperately in search of water and unknowingly ended up in the bathroom. I must have scared all here.

Chips: Yes you did.

Timothy: Okay folks. What an experience that was! Fortunately, everything is fine now. We will be reaching Lucknow in some moments. So let’s get ready for that!

Popeye: All aboard! All aboard! All aboard!

Timothy: Grrrrrrrr.......! Here he starts again! Somebody put some superglue into his beak please. Argh!!

________
The end.