Monday 30 September 2019

A portable PC that I built long ago

I made this portable PC really long ago. I so wanted to use my own  interactive multimedia audio video lessons/contents in my class to teach English as a second language. But I had no money to buy a laptop and a projector (Unfortunately I still don't have the money. Money doesn't like me, it seems. LOL !). And 3d applications are usually demanding,  
So I built this one. I used to visit computer shops in Kolkata looking for cheap / partly obsolete computer peripherals after my working hours at school.  
I started the prototype with a CYRIX III CPU and 256  mb RAM and went on updating/upgrading  it whenever I was able to save some money. 
The final version of the PC was fairly capable in terms of the performance and my dream came true. I could run all my 3d applications on it comfortably!  But it was very heavy and it hurt a lot to carry it along with my bag, papers and books. But still I used to carry it with me to my school almost each  and every working day. The good thing was that my students were happy and really enjoyed the contents that I had created for them. I was able to give them some idea about the use of  3d virtual reality in education with my own contents at that time.  Back then in my vicinity, there was no Govt. school  which used "Interactive" 2d and 3d audio video contents like I did. So despite all the pains, injuries, it was somewhat an achievement for me because my students  found it interesting and learnt something.  I hope my ex-students can still remember this device. :)