Monday 12 November 2018

How an Electronic Voting Machine (E.V.M.) works
    An Interactive Educational Demonstration
A Lesson on a working educational example of Computer Science & Application and Political Science of Class XI (W.B.C.H.S.E.)

       I am often professionally assigned the extremely rigorous bounden duty of a Presiding Officer in various Elections in India. So, when the Electronic Voting Machine was first introduced in India, I made a fully interactive E.V.M. simulation in an immersive 3d virtual reality platform in a restricted environment mainly for myself to understand the logic behind it.
      Recently in the syllabus of Political Science of class-XI of West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education, some information on an E.V.M. was incorporated and I found many of my curious students of my school asking the tech-savvy yours truly about how the E.V.M. works and some stuffs related to it.
       Unfortunately, I couldn't show them my earlier work on EVM simulation mainly as my students do not have access to Desktop Computers and moreover, they cannot afford the cost of high speed Internet bandwidth as well as decent computer hardware, needed to access and use the high-end 3d Application Server. But they all are very genuinely curious to see and know more about it.
       So those predicaments made me think and those lovely curious faces of my dear students inspired me to rewrite a lightweight interactive web version of my earlier 3d program to demonstrate in front of them, in school. This web-application can be accessed even with a low-end internet capable feature phone.
       The whole layout of the program is categorically divided into 3 sections:
            1. Control Unit
            2. Ballot Unit and
            3. The Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail Unit ( V.V.P.A.T.)
      In my humble opinion, this interactive web-application offers ample scope to practise and understand the E.V.M. module workflow in self-paced training and learning environment when an actual EVM is not available at hand. I sincerely do hope that someone might find this little program useful in a way.


And click here to view the earlier video using 3D virtual reality platform in case the embedded video below in this page does not work properly for you.




Designed and programmed by Soumen Chakraborty